Monarch Tractor, maker of the MK-V, the fully electric, driver-optional, smart tractor, announced the first tractors are coming off the Founder Series production line at its headquarters and manufacturing facility in Livermore, California.
The rollout comes less than two years since Monarch unveiled its groundbreaking tractor that combines electrification, automation, and data analysis to help farmers reduce their carbon footprint, improve field safety, streamline farming operations, and increase their bottom lines. Constellation Brands, a global wine and craft spirits producer and largest beer importer in the U.S., has partnered with Monarch as its first customer, through its purchase of the first six Founder Series MK-V tractors. The delivery of MK-V tractors to Constellation Brands will be followed by additional customer shipments to family farms and other large multinational corporations.
Utilizing a Monarch MK-V in place of a comparable diesel tractor is the equivalent emission reduction of removing 14 passenger vehicles from the road. Considering nearly 25 percent of global emissions result from agriculture, the zero-emission Monarch Tractor will help make meaningful emissions reductions as the use of Monarch Tractors scale in an industry that has been historically difficult to decarbonize. The use of the MK-V tractor simultaneously helps solve numerous challenges farmers face today including labor shortages, safety concerns, increased customer scrutiny for sustainable practices, government regulations, and more. Key features of the MK-V include:
- Renewable Technology: The MK-V is 100 percent electric and has zero tailpipe emissions. It also serves as a 3-in-1 electrification tool, operating as a tractor or utility vehicle during operation, as well as a powerful electric generator in the field.
- Driver Optional: Monarch utilizes the latest autonomous and robotics hardware and software technology, including the NVIDIA Jetson edge AI platform, to provide driver-assist and driver-optional operations. The Monarch MK-V can perform pre-programmed tasks without a driver, or an operator can use the Monarch interactive automation features including Shadow mode to have the Monarch Tractor follow a worker on the job.
- Unprecedented Safety: The MK-V is packed with safety features including rollover and collision prevention, vision-based Power Take Off (PTO) safety, and 360° cameras to keep operations running smoothly and employees safe, day or night.
- Deep Learning & Sensing Suite: The MK-V collects and analyzes crop data daily and can process data from current and next-generation implements equipped with sensors and imaging. This data can be used for real-time implement adjustments, long-term yield estimates, current growth stages and other plant/crop health metrics.
- Smart Device Operation: Through a smartphone or personal device, MK-V users receive tractor status alerts, detailed operations reports, and data collection, analysis, and storage for more efficient farm planning.
- Powerful: The Monarch electric drivetrain is capable of providing 40HP (30KW) of continuous power and short duration peak power up to 75HP (55KW) in a small footprint for multi-purpose usage.
Monarch Tractor has also captured the attention of the investment community, raising more than $110 million including a $61 million Series B round in 2021. Additionally, Monarch Tractor, of the NVIDIA Inception startup program, has secured several strategic partnerships globally including CNH Industrial and V.S.T. Tillers Tractors, and recently signed a contract manufacturing agreement with Hon Hai Technology Group (“Foxconn”,) the world’s largest electronic manufacturer, to build the MK-V and its battery packs at the Foxconn Ohio facility. Manufacturing operations are expected to begin at the Foxconn Mahoning Valley, Ohio facility in 2023, while tractor research and development will continue in California.